The Internal Revenue Service has once again revised the frequently asked questions (FAQs) for the 2021 Child Tax Credit (CTC) and Advance Child Tax Credit (ACTC). These revisions take into account several changes, including the end of filing season for the 2021 tax year.
The American Rescue Plan expanded the Child Tax Credit to include advance estimated payments during the last half of 2021. While filing season has concluded, some taxpayers can still file a late return to take advantage of the credit.
This new issue of FAQs covers eight topics, including:
- Topic A: General Information: Updated questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16
- Topic E: Advance Payment Process of the Child Tax Credit: Updated questions 2, 3
- Topic F: Updating Your Child Tax Credit Information During 2021: Removed questions 1, 2 and updated 3,4
- Topic G: Receiving Advance Child Tax Credit Payments: Updated questions 1, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11
- Topic H: Reconciling Your Advance Child Tax Credit Payments on Your 2021 Tax Return: Updated questions 1, 2, 9 and removed 10
- Topic J: Unenrolling from Advance Payments: Updated question 1 and removed 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Topic K: Verifying Your Identity to View your Payments 2021 Child Tax Credit: Updated 2, 3, 5, 6 and removed 7
- Topic L: Commonly Asked Shared-Custody Questions: Updated 1 and 2
Complete details for each of the updated topics and questions are available on the IRS website in Fact Sheet 2022-29. The 22-page fact sheet instructs that those with questions should consult the FAQs rather than call IRS assistance lines, as IRS operators do not have any additional information.
The agency also makes it clear that any frequently asked questions are meant to communicate information quickly to the general public, rather than to state official IRS policy or tax law. FAQs, the IRS says, should not be the basis for any arguments or positions before formal legal bodies, such as the Tax Court.
Details of the IRS stance on reliance on FAQs can be found here.
Sources: IRS revises 2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit frequently asked questions; Fact Sheet 2022-29